Gotra and Surnames of Bhumihar
Gotra and Surnames
Gotra literally means “Cow-Pen” or “Cow-Shed”. All the families sharing a common cow-pen (where you kept cattle during the night) were generally from a same extended family and hence marriage among them was strictly forbidden.
Gotra’s are like the clans of Irish people. In the days gone by, Gotra was the basis of deciding matrimonial alliances. In order to avoid inbreeding, persons from the same clan or Gotra were forbidden to marry. In addition to this there were certain other rules also.
There are fourteen main Gotra’s of Chitpavan brahmins, they are :
Due to the expantion when one family was divided, the new branches emerged which are known as Gan Gotra and accordinglly 51 GanGotra came into existance. There coming generations were in lacs, however at present we have somewhere around 100 Gotra.
Some of the important Gotras among Bhumihar Brahmins are:
1. Kashyap-known as Jaithariya, Kinwar, Baruar, Danswar Kudhunia, Nonhulia, Tatiha, Kolha, Karemua, Bhade choudhury, Trifala Pandey, Parhape, Sahasname, Dixit, Jujhoutiya, babandiha, Mouar, Dadhiere, Marre, Siriear, Dhouloni, Dumrait and bhupali etc.
2. Prashar-Eksariya,Sahadouliya, Surgane & hastagame
3. Vasitha-Kastuar, Darwalia & MarjaneeMishra.
4. Sandilaya-Dighvait, Kusumtiwary, Koranch, Nainjora,Ramiyapandey, Chiksouriya, Karmahe, Brahampuria, Sihogia etc.
5. Garga-shukla, basmait, nagwashukla and garg
6. Bhardwaj- Dumtikar, Jatharwar, Heraapuripandey, Belounche, Aambareeya, Chakwar, Sonpakhareeya, Machaiyapandey, Manachheeya, Sonewar, Siieenee,
16. Koundeenya-Aatharav (Aathharvavedi) Bijulpureeya
17. Aatreya-Maireeyapandey, pule, Enarwar
19. Kattyayan-vadrakaamishra, Lamgodeeyatewari,pandey of Srikantapur.
20. Koushik-Kusounjheeya, Pandey of Tekar, Nekteewar
21. Sankreeti-Sakarwar, Malaiyapandey, fatuhavadymish
23.Vatsa- Donwar, Gaanaamishra, Sonbhadareeya, Bagoucheeya,j alewar, samseria, Hathoureeya, Gangtikai
24. Gautam-pipramishra, gotameeya, dattyayan, vatsyaayn, karmaisuroure, badramiya
25. Bhargav-bhreegu,aaswareeya and kotha Bhardwaj&Bhaardwaj, Bhrigu&Bhargav, Kashyap and Kashyap are same because their mul rishee are same